We’re happy to announce that the Marriott LAX is helping us increase the dining options for our convention… even moreso than last year. During the 2018 convention, one of their restaurants (formerly Latitudes, now Social Market) was closed for renovation, which presented issues during dinner time (many of you left the hotel for food and missed some of our evening programming).
The following is a guide to what we have in store for you in February 2019:
- Social Market Cafe is now open… you’ll find it in the same place the Latitudes coffee shop used to be. Social Market prepares food from various local and regional California suppliers, and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant has a breakfast buffet (same style as before) and has a small bar.
- Hangar 18 is the Marriott’s lobby bar & restaurant. Last February there were long waits during dinner, which should be alleviated this year. It’s open 6:00am until 1:00am for service and features some of the same fare as Social Market.
- J.W.’s is the hotel’s steakhouse, open at 5:00pm daily. Reservations are required as in years past. J.W.’s is on the pricey side (and reservations will likely fill up before the convention even starts, especially on February 14 aka Valentine’s Day.)
- FOOD TRUCKS! Yep, the Food Trucks were a huge hit last year for lunch. We will once again have a good selection of food trucks (the specifics of which we’ll announce much closer to the convention). But we also have some big news on the food truck front: for 2019, the food trucks will be staying through the dinner hour, until 8:00pm. The food trucks will once again be on the convention center level in the outer courtyard.
- Starbucks is open daily in the Marriott lobby for coffee, drinks, pastries and snacks. Note that the lines for Starbucks can be long in the morning (there are also Starbucks at the Residence Inn and Sheraton Gateway hotels!)
- Cafe Trenzalore is our convention center lunch counter, hosted by the Marriott; it’s a good place to pick up sandwiches, prepared salads, beverages and snacks while you’re on your way to convention panels. You’ll find it right outside the Dealers Room.
- Gallifrey One’s Hospitality Suite is back, in the same place as always: first floor, poolside. The Con Suite has free sodas and packaged snacks for you to enjoy while participating in the convention. You can reach the Con Suite via the elevator; from the hotel lobby on the second floor (walk down the stairs just past the elevator lobby from hotel check-in); or from the pool garden.
In addition, there are multiple food options in the local area including Jersey Mike’s Subs and Z Pizza in the Residence Inn a block west of the Marriott; Trimana coffee shop in the business tower right across Airport Blvd. from the Marriott (note: closed Sunday); Carl’s Jr. fast food just east of the Hilton & Parking Spot garage; Century Taproom gastropub and Yokoso Sushi Bar at the Crowne Plaza; and and there are restaurants at the Four Points Sheraton, Embassy Suites, Renaissance LAX and other hotels. Further afield, several blocks east of the hotel (10-20 minute walk) are Taco Bell, Subway, McDonald’s, the Daily Grill at the Westin, and others
Finally, we should note that the Denny’s on Century Blvd. at Aviation is still open as of December 2018. However, we cannot guarantee it will still be open by the convention. LAX Airport is just starting work on a massive renovation/transportation project; the Travelodge Hotel is already gone, as that lot will become a construction yard, and the Denny’s is expected to eventually close down as well during the process. We will update you with any changes shortly before the convention.