tl;dr: Gallifrey One 2019’s discount hotel block at the Marriott Los Angeles Airport Hotel is sold out, but there are still many local hotel options to enjoy! Read the following information for further details.
Booking Rooms at the Marriott LAX
Gallifrey One opened our 2019 hotel room block on Friday, May 11, 2018 and sold out within seconds, along with nearly the entire hotel. (The Marriott holds all of the rooms in the hotel until our block reservation day, both our discount block as well as the standard rate, or “rack rate,” room block.)
That said, we encourage you to check back periodically, as rooms occasionally get released back into the reservations system, either by attendees canceling their rooms, or by the airlines (which have a small block of their own rooms reserved for crew stayovers). Click here to visit the Marriott LAX website and fill in your dates of arrival and departure to search for rooms. You can also enter the Group Code “gaagaaa” which is our 2019 discount block code. We encourage you to search both the discount block and the rack rate block (by entering and/or removing the discount code); rack rate rooms are more likely to appear.
It is important to remember that your ticket to Gallifrey One DOES NOT entitle you to the opportunity to book a hotel room at the Marriott LAX. Our contract with the Marriott is for the convention center space and housing for our guests; as a side bonus, we are able to offer a large block of discounted hotel rooms that we are not using for our purposes. It is entirely the responsibility of ticketed attendees to book their own accommodations, whether that is the Marriott LAX or another hotel. (We mention this because we can’t stress it enough… it is not the convention’s responsibility to get you into the Marriott, only to run a great Doctor Who convention.)
IMPORTANT: Gallifrey One works with our partners at the Marriott LAX on our events, and this year we will be doing so even more closely with regard to hotel accommodations. Please note that anyone who books more than one room at the Marriott will be subject to increased scrutiny, including to ensure that blocks of rooms are not booked and resold. Also, anyone who books a hotel room on the Gallifrey One discount room block (which is approximately 85% of the rooms at the hotel) *must* have a ticket to the 2019 convention in their name by the close of our transfer period — likely late January 2019 — or will be subject to forfeit of their reservation.
Other Hotels in the Area
Can’t find a room at the Marriott LAX Hotel? It’s no problem, as there are lots of hotels in the area, many of which are within a short 5-minute walk from the Marriott – very close by and easily accessed after a long day at the convention. The Uber and Lyft rideshare services are all in heavy use around the airport (both drop off and pick up from the airport), so along with fairly inexpensive local taxi services, even attendees with mobility issues can stay at neighboring hotels with ease.
Here’s a quick guide to available options in the immediate area, all of which should have rooms to let for the weekend of our convention:
- Crowne Plaza LAX, a five minute walk, across Airport Blvd. and 1/2 block down Century Blvd. We recommend that you check the Crowne Plaza first, as its room rates are (as of mid-May 2018) even cheaper than even the Marriott LAX discount block was for our convention.
- Hilton Los Angeles Airport, a five minute walk, just on the other side of the Marriott outdoor parking lot. Many of our attendees choose to stay at the Hilton as it’s a very quick walk and has multiple food options.
- IMPORTANT: The Strategicon gaming convention takes place at the Hilton at the same time as Gallifrey One; if you book here, make certain you do not book your room using Strategicon’s discount hotel block as the Hilton will void your reservation (you must have a Strategicon ticket to be in their block, just like our own block at the Marriott.)
- Renaissance Los Angeles Airport, a five minute walk immediately north of the Marriott. Renaissance is a Marriott property.
- Four Points Sheraton, a five minute walk, between the Marriott and Renaissance Hotels.
- Embassy Suites North – LAX, a five minute walk, across Airport Blvd. and 1/2 block north.
- Residence Inn LAX, a five minute walk, across Airport Blvd. and around the corner.
- Courtyard by Marriott LAX, a ten minute walk west of the Marriott.
- Sheraton Gateway LAX, a ten minute walk, west toward LAX and beyond the Crowne Plaza.
- Westin Hotel LAX, Holiday Inn LAX, La Quinta Inn LAX, Wingate by Wyndham LAX, all next to the 405 freeway, and the Hyatt Regency LAX next to the entrance to the airport, are usually longer walks (15+ minutes) but manageable.
There are many other local hotels in the LAX area as well within 10-15 minutes walk or a quick taxi ride… we’d encourage you to look at the online map sites and travel sites and choose your best option.
TRAVELODGE LAX NOTE: This hotel, next to the Denny’s Diner and in use by many of our convention attendees over the years, has permanently closed, as the land is being repurposed for future LAX development (Denny’s is still operating as of May 2018 but will be shutting down later this year.)
When Should I Arrive?
If you are getting a hotel room in the area, we encourage you to check into your hotel room on Thursday if possible (or before, if you are coming earlier; there are fans in the lobby usually as early as late Wednesday afternoon.) Pre-convention events will take place in the evening Thursday, with official events starting at 8:00pm but our social mixer in the hotel lobby (affectionately referred to as ‘lobby con’ by attendees) usually getting into full swing by 6-7pm; the convention proper begins Friday morning at 10am. Badge pickup for attendees will run Thursday 3pm-6pm and limited pickups from 8pm until the desk goes quiet, and resumes Friday morning at 9am. We’d encourage you to travel earlier rather than later to enjoy the full experience.