The hotel room block for the upcoming Gallifrey One 2015 convention at our host hotel, the Marriott Los Angeles Airport, SOLD OUT within minutes of opening on April 28, as did our overflow hotel, the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport hotel… and when we say within minutes, we mean literally within minutes.
Are there Available Rooms Nearby?
Absolutely! As of the time this release is being posted (late August 2014), online travel sites such as Expedia and Hotels.com have posted the following rates for hotel rooms in the immediate area, including the Renaissance (which was our official overflow hotel but is also sold out of reduced convention rate rooms):
- Renaissance Los Angeles Airport (see shuttle service note below): $169/night
- Courtyard by Marriott LAX (see shuttle service note below): $199/night
- Hilton Los Angeles Airport (5 min walk, just on the other side of the Marriott outdoor parking lot): $119/night
- Crowne Plaza LAX (5 min walk, across Aviation Blvd. and 1/2 block down Century Blvd.): $133/night
- Four Points Sheraton (5 min walk, between the Marriott and Renaissance Hotels): $118/night
- Embassy Suites North – LAX (5 min walk, across Aviation Blvd. and 1/2 block north): $149/night
- Travelodge LAX (5-10 min walk, beyond the Hilton next to Denny’s Diner): $102/night
- Sheraton Gateway LAX (10 min walk, west toward LAX and beyond the Crowne Plaza): $157/night
- Westin Hotel LAX, Holiday Inn LAX, La Quinta Inn LAX, Wingate by Wyndham LAX (all next to the 405 freeway, a short cab ride away): $110 to $134/night depending on facility; these are usually cab-ride amenable as they are long walks
There are many other local hotels in the LAX area as well within 10-15 minutes walk or a quick cab ride… we’d encourage you to look at the online map sites and travel sites and choose your best option.
Two hotels listed above feature shuttle services as noted:
- Renaissance Los Angeles Airport: As our official overflow facility, Gallifrey One has arranged for limited shuttle services from the Marriott LAX to the Renaissance LAX every 30 minutes from 10:00pm to 2:00am on Friday and Saturday nights during the convention. Note these are late-night, one-way shuttle services provided free of charge to attendees staying at the Renaissance.
- Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Airport: The airport shuttle serving our host hotel (the Marriott LAX) also serves the Courtyard by Marriott LAX hotel on the same route, stopping after delivery to the Marriott and on return route to LAX. While the price is a bit higher, this shuttle service runs 24 hours (limited late-night service but still every 30 minutes approximately).
When Should I Arrive?
Like this past February’s convention, we are planning some special pre-convention functions for Thursday night. We encourage you to check into your hotel room on Thursday if possible (or before, if you are coming earlier). Pre-convention events will take place in the evening Thursday, with official events starting at 9:00pm but our social mixer in the hotel lobby (affectionately referred to as ‘lobbycon’ by attendees) usually getting into full swing by 6-7pm; the convention proper begins Friday morning at 10am. Badge pickup for attendees will run Thursday 3pm-7pm and limited pickups from 9pm until the desk goes quiet, and resumes Friday morning at 9am. We’d encourage you to travel earlier rather than later to enjoy the full experience.
Information for Those Staying in Our Host Hotels:
If you got into either the Marriott LAX or Renaissance LAX under the Gallifrey One group code – and NOT at any other rate, rack rate, AAA discount or otherwise, the following deal was in effect: The discount hotel room rate for both the Marriott LAX and the Renaissance LAX this year is $120/night… which includes free in-room wi-fi at both locations. The free wi-fi is only good for hotel rooms booked using the Gallifrey One discount code for 2015 and not for any other rates. Also, the Marriott and Renaissance have both guaranteed parking costs to be $13 for self-parking for overnight (one car per room at that rate), with valet parking rates set at $23/night at the Marriott, $25/night at the Renaissance; these rates are only good for those using the Gallifrey One hotel reservation discount codes. (Day parking will be announced later but is expected to be comparable.) Note that your reservation email may not state the discount parking rate or the complementary wi-fi but you will be guaranteed both provided that you have a reservation showing Gallifrey One as your group code.
We know there was confusion this year on the Renaissance hotel shuttle because of a lack of signage in the Marriott valet area for the shuttle, and we have been assured this will be rectified for 2015.