Hotel accommodations at the Marriott Los Angeles Airport Hotel for the week of Gallifrey One 2020 are now available!
Although the Gallifrey One convention discounted block was sold out within moments after becoming available on April 26, 2019, you still have multiple options. The following is helpful information about each.
Standard-Rate Room Reservations
The Marriott LAX still has standard-rate rooms available for all occupancies for the Gallifrey One 2020 weekend. You can reserve rooms at the Marriott LAX directly via their reservations website, or you can use booking services like Expedia, Booking.com, etc.
These rooms do not enjoy any perks from our convention contract; parking is billed at the Marriott’s standard rate. Unfortunately we cannot get the Marriott to reclassify a room booked at standard rates to a convention discount block room.
If you book a standard-rate Marriott hotel room and wish to find a roommate or two to share it with you, you may want to post a note on our Facebook event page.
Convention Discount Block Reservations
While our convention discount block (encompassing a majority of the rooms at the Marriott LAX for our weekend) has sold out, we encourage you to keep trying throughout the year. Some rooms may become available throughout the year as people cancel reservations; we know several people have been able to find discount rooms in this manner. You can periodically check to see if any rooms have been released on the discount block by clicking here (or going to the Marriott website and using the group code “galgalb”).
As a reminder, here are the terms of the rooms booked with the convention discount rate. Only the rooms booked using the convention discount link (or code) are eligible for these terms:
- Rooms on the convention block are $162.00 per night plus state and local taxes (currently 15.5%) for single to quad occupancy.
- Each room on the discount block also receives complementary wifi, and an overnight parking rate of $15.00 (one car only).
- Please note that when making your reservation on the discount block, it won’t show the new parking rate but rather the full daily overnight rate; your reservation will be updated to include the discount parking rate when you check into the room.
Other Hotels in the Area
Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get into the Marriott, as there are many hotels in the area of Los Angeles International Airport. There are plenty of places to stay, many of which are within a short 5-minute walk from the Marriott – very close by and easily accessed after a long day at the convention. Here’s a quick guide to available options in the immediate area, all of which should have rooms to let for the weekend of our convention.
The Renaissance Los Angeles Airport and Courtyard by Marriott LAX are both local Marriott properties. The Renaissance just north of the Marriott and is a less than 5 minute walk; the Courtyard is west of the Marriott and is an approximately 10 minute walk. If you cannot get into the Marriott, these are great options for those with Marriott Rewards cards.
Other options include:
- Hilton Los Angeles Airport (5 minute walk, just on the other side of the Marriott outdoor parking lot; see note below)
- Crowne Plaza LAX (5 minute walk, across Airport Blvd. and 1/2 block down Century Blvd.)
- Four Points Sheraton (5 minute walk, between the Marriott and Renaissance Hotels)
- Embassy Suites North – LAX (5 minute walk, across Airport Blvd. and 1/2 block north)
- Residence Inn LAX (5 minute walk, across Airport Blvd. and around the corner)
- Sheraton Gateway LAX (10 minute walk, west toward LAX and beyond the Crowne Plaza)
- Westin Hotel LAX, Holiday Inn LAX, La Quinta Inn LAX, Wingate by Wyndham LAX (all next to the 405 freeway); these are usually taxi/Uber/Lyft amenable as they are long walks.
There are many other local hotels in the LAX area as well within 10-15 minutes walk or a quick taxi ride… we’d encourage you to look at the online map sites and travel sites and choose your best option.
If you’re in the local area, getting to the Marriott LAX is easy… taxis, Uber and Lyft all serve the local area. Parking for the convention can be a bit of a challenge; although the Marriott lot fills up very quickly, there are other parking options in the area (we have a Directions & Parking page on this site, but we will be updating it closer to the convention with current parking info!)
IMPORTANT NOTE regarding the HILTON LAX: We are not the only convention in the LAX area on Presidents’ Day Weekend; the Strategicon gaming convention takes place at the Hilton next door at the same time as Gallifrey One. If you are making reservations at the Hilton LAX, make absolutely certain you are not booking your room using Strategicon’s discount hotel block. The Hilton will void any reservations by Gallifrey One attendees that were made using the Strategicon discount block — and Gallifrey One fully supports their right to do so. Please help us keep the genuine peace and good wishes between our events.
When Should I Arrive?
If you are getting a hotel room in the area, we encourage you to check into your hotel room on Thursday if possible (or before, if you are coming earlier; there are fans in the lobby usually as early as late Wednesday afternoon.) Pre-convention events will take place in the evening Thursday, with official events starting at 8:00pm but our social mixer in the hotel lobby (affectionately referred to as ‘lobby con’ by attendees) usually getting into full swing by 6-7pm; the convention proper begins Friday morning at 10am. Badge pickup for attendees will run Thursday 3pm-6pm and limited pickups from 8pm until the desk goes quiet, and resumes Friday morning at 9am. We’d encourage you to travel earlier rather than later to enjoy the full experience.