Our host facility, the Marriott Los Angeles Airport Hotel, is completely SOLD OUT for 2016.
However, that doesn’t mean you don’t have some great options… the Los Angeles International Airport area is filled with different hotels, many of which are within a short 5-minute walk from the Marriott – very close by and easily accessed after a long day at the convention. Here’s a quick guide to available options in the immediate area, all of which (as of May 2015) still have rooms to let:
- Renaissance Los Angeles Airport (see shuttle service note below)
- Courtyard by Marriott LAX (see shuttle service note below)
- Hilton Los Angeles Airport (5 min walk, just on the other side of the Marriott outdoor parking lot and Park Air Express lot)
- Crowne Plaza LAX (5 min walk, across Airport Blvd. and 1/2 block down Century Blvd.)
- Four Points Sheraton (5 min walk, between the Marriott and Renaissance Hotels)
- Embassy Suites North – LAX (5 min walk, across Airport Blvd. and 1/2 block north)
- Residence Inn LAX (5 min walk, across Airport Blvd. and around the corner)
- Travelodge LAX (5-10 min walk, beyond the Hilton next to Denny’s Diner)
- Sheraton Gateway LAX (10 min walk, west toward LAX and beyond the Crowne Plaza)
- Westin Hotel LAX, Holiday Inn LAX, La Quinta Inn LAX, Wingate by Wyndham LAX (all next to the 405 freeway, a short cab ride away); these are usually cab-ride amenable as they are long walks
There are many other local hotels in the LAX area as well within 10-15 minutes walk or a quick cab ride… we’d encourage you to look at the online map sites and travel sites and choose your best option.
As a reminder, our 2016 convention is also taking place simultaneously with two large events in Los Angeles — the Los Angeles Marathon on the Sunday, and the US Olympic Team Men’s Track & Field Trials throughout the weekend — and therefore prices for hotels across the city have escalated. Hotels close by normally at much lower rates than these are currently priced a bit higher, and are very likely to fill up completely before the end of the summer. Should you wish to avoid the crunch and stay at a hotel nearby we encourage you to make your reservations immediately.
(Note: In addition to our Marriott room block, we also offered a smaller discount room block at our overflow hotel, the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel, but those are sold out as well – however, as of May 2015, rooms at the Renaissance are still available at regular rates.)
Two hotels listed above feature shuttle services as noted:
- Renaissance Los Angeles Airport: As our official overflow facility, Gallifrey One has arranged for limited shuttle services from the Marriott LAX to the Renaissance LAX from 10:00pm to 2:00am on Friday and Saturday nights during the convention. Note these are late-night, one-way shuttle services provided free of charge to attendees staying at the Renaissance; the shuttle only departs if and when passengers ask for it.
- Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Airport: The airport shuttle serving our host hotel (the Marriott LAX) also serves the Courtyard by Marriott LAX hotel on the same route, stopping after delivery to the Marriott and on return route to LAX. While the hotel room price is a bit higher, this shuttle service runs 24 hours (limited late-night service but still every 30 minutes approximately), so it’s a good option for those who want an easy return from the convention.
When Should I Arrive?
As for our past events, are planning some special pre-convention functions for Thursday night. We encourage you to check into your hotel room on Thursday if possible (or before, if you are coming earlier). Pre-convention events will take place in the evening Thursday, with official events starting at 9:00pm but our social mixer in the hotel lobby (affectionately referred to as ‘lobbycon’ by attendees) usually getting into full swing by 6-7pm; the convention proper begins Friday morning at 10am. Badge pickup for attendees will run Thursday 3pm-6pm and limited pickups from 8pm until the desk goes quiet, and resumes Friday morning at 9am. We’d encourage you to travel earlier rather than later to enjoy the full experience.