Gallifrey One is a family-friendly convention that provides our attendees both a weekend full of fun and a safe place to socialize and have a good time. To that end, we have created and enforce the following rules of conduct that are in place for our conventions; these policies must be followed by all convention attendees without exception.
The purchase of a ticket for a Gallifrey One convention includes your acknowledgement that you will follow all of these policies at all times.
Should you experience any form of harassment or note any violations of our policies, please report it immediately:
- Prior to the convention, contact us directly.
- At the convention, visit the Member Services desk on the convention floor between the elevators and the exhibitor table hallway. If Member Services is closed, go to the Support Services office immediately behind it; you can find it by going into the exhibitor table hallway, it’s the first door on the left.
General Convention Policies
The following activities will not be tolerated during the Gallifrey One conventions:
- Physical or verbal harassment of other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
- Sexual misconduct, such as indecent exposure, offensive touching, or other sexual harassment
- Engaging in disruptive and unsafe behavior that disturbs other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
- Asking any guest of Gallifrey One for an autograph or photograph outside the convention’s posted autograph/photo hours
- Possession or use of any illegal drug, narcotic or banned substance
- Possession or use of any item defined as a weapon, illegal or not, with the exception of costume weapons (as defined in our Weapons Policy, below)
- Distribution of alcoholic beverages to any person under the age of 21
- Disruptive or inappropriate behavior, or any engagement in activity prohibited by law
- Any act which could result in substantial risk of harm to people or property
Violation of any of these policies will result in consequences up to and including the revocation of an attendee’s membership without refund; a possible permanent ban from all future Gallifrey One conventions; and contact with appropriate legal authorities. Gallifrey One reserves the right to deal with each matter individually, in a manner deemed fit by its Board of Directors.
Convention Harassment Ombudsperson
Gallifrey One has appointed a Convention Harassment Ombudsperson, a member of our Board of Directors, who is able to meet with individuals who wish to report incidents of harassment during the convention weekend:
- During the convention’s regular hours of operation, our Member Services desk is always your first point of contact should you ever have an issue to report. The Member Services team will radio our Ombudsperson if the issue concerns harassment of any kind. Our Ombudsperson will then arrange a quick meeting with you at a private location, along with a member of our ConOps/UNIT team, to hear your concerns.
- When Member Services is closed, there will be a posted phone number at their kiosk. Those with harassment complaints are welcome to call when the desk is closed; if no one answers, please leave a message along with a number you can be reached at, which will lead to arranging a private meeting as noted above.
Your meeting with our Ombudsperson and our ConOps representative will be private and confidential. A course of action will be determined from this meeting, and it will either be dealt with directly by the convention or, if warranted, referred to proper law enforcement authorities for investigation. We do ask, however, that you keep it brief and to the point, and be willing to meet in a comfortable private setting.
It is our hope that Gallifrey One can help make a successful and enjoyable weekend for everyone, including those people who may one day find themselves subjected to sexual or other forms of harassment. That is not in the spirit of our convention, and that is certainly not acceptable to those of us who run it.
Gallifrey One requires all convention attendees to abide by our Courtesy Policy, which is the exhibition of courteous behavior to fellow attendees. We require cooperation on the following rules of conduct during our convention:
- Cellphones and other electronic devices must be silenced or turned off while attendees are in our programming and video rooms
- Attendees must remain quiet during panels and not speak amongst themselves, except when participating in discussion with the panel
- Parents with small children who misbehave, cry or become noisy must depart the program room they are in immediately
- Attendees wearing hats or tall costumes must remove them when sitting in a panel room so the view of other attendees is not blocked
- When panel rooms have closed their doors due to hallway noise, attendees are asked to open and close the doors quietly
- Attendees (including costumed attendees and attendees inside Daleks or other mechanical objects) immediately outside the doors to a programming room must keep their voices at a reasonable level so as not to disturb the program
- Attendees are asked to respect other attendees by not disrupting or intruding in their private conversations, videotaping/photography sessions, podcasting/recording sessions, or other activities
Additionally, attendees must respect personal boundaries of each of our guests, and are therefore asked to ensure the following:
- Attendees may not monopolize the time of a particular guest, either in an autograph line or in any other setting.
- Attendees may not approach a guest for an autograph or photo outside of any autograph session or photo studio session.
- Attendees may not have any items delivered to a guest’s hotel room at any time.
- Attendees are asked to practice discretion when approaching a guest in a social setting (i.e. the bar/restaurants), so as to not intrude upon the guest’s existing conversations or personal time (including dining).
We strictly enforce these rules for the safety and comfort of our attending guests, and they apply to both convention attendees as well as the general public. Persons without tickets to the convention have no business with the attending guests of Gallifrey One and will be asked to leave the hotel if they in any way accost our guests, ask for autographs or loiter without convention business. (We will enforce this up to and including asking hotel security to have loiterers removed from the premises.)
In order to ensure that none of these items or any other issues impair the experience for others, we will be strictly enforcing this policy, up to and including asking offenders to leave the convention. We appreciate your consent to and following of these rules to make sure everyone has a good time.
Refunds: We do NOT issue refunds. All sales are final. (Actively challenging a ticket sale with a bank/card provider to acquire a refund despite this policy will result in a permanent restriction on future attendance. Our convention, like all other non-profit events, budgets based entirely on advanced sales. You have been warned.)
Ticket Transfers: We allow pre-convention transfers by web form on this website, provided they are initiated by the current ticketholder. Transfers can be done on site as well. See the Ticket Transfers page for details.
Ticket Deferral: We do not defer memberships from one year to another, except on a case by case basis due to extreme personal emergency situations (which include death of an immediate family member, hospitalization, etc.), and only if the request is made ahead of time, five (5) or more days prior to the start of the convention; we will NOT do so after the convention. Deferrals must be requested via email with sufficient explanation, and may only be granted after discussion by our Board of Directors.
Photography and Videotaping
Videotaping is not allowed in Gallifrey One program rooms (that is, any of our six main program rooms, noted as Program A/B/C/D/E/F on site). This policy will be strictly enforced.
Photography and videotaping of other activities including general cosplay, personal photos/video with the TARDIS, etc., are acceptable provided that subjects being videotaped consent to it and provided that it does not disrupt events or the flow of foot traffic. Should any convention guest or staff member request that videotaping of a particular item (such as autograph sessions or photo ops) be discontinued, attendees must comply with this request immediately.
Cameras and camcorders/video recorders are not allowed in the Art Show. Photography of art, model, toy and collectibles displays may be allowed with the permission of the Art Show Coordinator and the artist; contact the Art Show Coordinator for more details.
Badges and Identification
Registrants will pick up their convention badge upon arrival at the convention space (there are no tickets mailed). Convention badges must be visible at all times on your person. Individuals without badges will not be granted access to convention space or any other function rooms in the hotel in which convention operations are occurring. A member of the convention staff who does not see your badge visible upon your person may ask you to make certain it is visible, or ask you to leave the convention space.
A fee will be charged for replacing a lost badge; replacement badges will be authorized by our Registration desk. Should a lost badge be located later, Registration may refund the cost of the lost badge, provided such recovery has occurred on the same day.
It is suggested that you keep your badge on you during the evening hours when in the hotel lobby/bar area. The Marriott Los Angeles Airport Hotel reserves the right to control access to the hotel lobby/bar when maximum occupancy limits are reached; those without convention badges or who are not registered hotel guests may be asked to leave during these times.
Costuming and Attire
Gallifrey One reserves the right to deem a costume unacceptable and request the wearer to make modifications as necessary. This convention is a family-friendly event. Please keep this in mind when choosing costumes and allow common sense and good taste to prevail.
All attendees are required by the hotel to wear approved footwear while in the convention space, which includes shoes, sandals, flip-flops or slippers. Bare feet are not allowed.
A WORD REGARDING LARGE-SIZED COSTUMES: We absolutely love costumes at Gallifrey One, especially the really large and elaborate ones. We don’t wish to discourage anyone from wearing them during the day, but we need your assistance if you are planning to bring one. Just like Daleks and mobile props in the following section, these can cause issues with traffic flow in our foyer. We would ask you to please help us out by not stopping in the center of the hallway, but instead, if you need to stop, move to the side of the hall or toward the glass doors leading in from the patio. This will aid us tremendously when the hallways are very busy.
Daleks and Other Large/Mobile Props
Nobody loves Daleks at our convention more than we do… but along with other large props, they create some havoc for us in our hallways, especially in the breaks between panels. To that end, if you wish to bring a large-sized Dalek to Gallifrey One, or another large prop of this type, please note the following (which is specifically tailored to Daleks but also applies to anything life-sized and/or mobile):
- In order to feature a Dalek, or similar-sized mobile prop at Gallifrey One, you must contact us PRIOR to the convention via our contact page. We will not permit them to be on the convention floor without this contact and it may not be done at the convention. We will not guarantee to permit your Dalek access to the convention because of the number of people wishing to bring them, so you are encourage to contact us earlier rather than later.
- Dalek operators are permitted only on the ground level (convention floor) of the con and the foyer outside, except during transportation. They may not be used on the hotel lobby level or in corridors near sleeping rooms at any time.
- When displaying your Dalek prop at the convention, please follow the requirements of the convention floor managers (arranged ahead of time); we have traffic flow issues, especially during panel breaks on Friday and Saturday afternoons, and you may be asked to maintain a specific location.
- Dalek operators are NOT permitted to use speakers/vocoders/other audio equipment on the Dalek in the western hallway of the convention, which is the location of our video room and Program C & D rooms. The loud voice effects disturb the panels in those rooms and must not be used. Additionally, we may ask you to keep your Dalek quiet outside the doors of our main ballroom (Program A) as well.
- Extremely limited storage space is available for Daleks on our main program floor but this must also be arranged ahead of time in our discussions (prior contact as noted above.) We will not guarantee Dalek storage space on site.
As a side note for smaller mobile props (like a K-9, etc.) we do not require that you register your prop formally as above, but we would ask you to please kindly assist us with traffic flow by not stopping in the center of the foyer for crowds. Instead, please simply move to the side of the hallway or into the areas near the glass doors leading outside. These crowds around small props also give us difficulty with the movement of people, especially between panels. Your assistance is appreciated.
We recognize that costume-related weapons are sometimes an important part of the costume experience, so Gallifrey One has the following weapons policy for costume-related weapons in place:
- ALL weapons must be non-working and peace-bonded (see below)
- No functioning projectile weapons includes water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols
- Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times
- There will be absolutely no play-acting with props
- Explosives or chemicals of any kind including, but not limited to, smoke powder, sparklers, and fireworks, are not permitted at the con
- Do not bring anything that would annoy another attendee
Peace-bonding is the act of making it clear that your weapon cannot be used (either by a brightly colored tie, or trigger lock) and that your intentions are peaceful. In order to display a costume related weapon on your costume, your weapon must be peace-bonded; to do so, it must be brought to the Support Services office, which is located immediately behind the Member Services desk along the central hallway. Do not presume that the peacebonding from another or a previous convention will do. Items producing light or sound must be checked with Support Services for decisions about peace-bonding.
These rules apply solely to costume weaponry. Gallifrey One does not permit any real weapons to be used or brought to the convention at all as per our general policies above; violation of this rule will require immediate reporting to proper authorities.
Gallifrey One Conventions and The Institute for Specialized Literature (ISL), Inc. are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft, or injury with regard to any attendee at any time. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Civil or medical emergencies and criminal activity must be reported to the Marriott’s Loss Prevention team, who will contact the proper law enforcement authorities.
Gallifrey One Conventions and ISL, Inc. are not responsible for, and expressly disclaim all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within this website (gallifreyone.com). While the information contained within the website is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this Web site is correct, complete, and up-to-date. Although Gallifrey One Conventions and ISL, Inc. may include links providing direct access to other Internet resources, including Web sites, Gallifrey One Conventions and ISL, Inc. are not responsible for the accuracy or content of information contained in these sites. Links to third-sites do not constitute an endorsement by Gallifrey One Conventions and ISL, Inc. of the parties or their products and services. The appearance on the website of advertisements and product or service information does not constitute an endorsement by Gallifrey One Conventions and ISL, Inc., and we have not investigated the claims made by any advertiser. Product information is based solely on material received from suppliers.