Gallifrey One is a family-friendly convention that takes pride in providing its members with both a weekend full of wonderful entertainment and a safe place to socialize and have a good time. To that end, we have codified the following rules of conduct that are in place for our conventions, which must be followed by all convention attendees in order to provide a safe and secure environment. Registration for a Gallifrey One convention includes acknowledging that the registrant will follow all of these policies at all times.
Should you experience any form of harassment or note any violations of policy, please report items to the Member Services desk during the convention, or directly to Convention Operations (the door immediately behind the Member Services counter) after hours or when Member Services is closed.
General Convention Policies
The following activities will not be tolerated during the Gallifrey One conventions:
- Physical or verbal harassment of other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
- Sexual misconduct, such as indecent exposure, offensive touching, or other sexual harassment
- Engaging in disruptive and unsafe behavior that disturbs other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
- Possession or use of any illegal drug, narcotic or banned substance
- Possession or use of any item defined as a weapon, illegal or not, with the exception of costume weapons (as defined in our Weapons Policy, below)
- Distribution of alcoholic beverages to any person under the age of 21
- Disruptive or inappropriate behavior, or any engagement in activity prohibited by law
- Any act which could result in substantial risk of harm to people or property
Please note that harassment is any behavior that intentionally annoys, threatens, or alarms another person. This includes any unwanted physical contact, verbal sexual comments toward a non-consenting adult or toward any minor, following someone without a legitimate reason, or threatening to physically harm someone. Remember, if someone approaches you and you tell them to leave you alone, their business with you is done. If they do not leave you alone as you have requested, their actions may be grounds for a complaint of harassment. Gallifrey One will investigate all harassment claims to the best of our ability. Gallifrey One is committed to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion.
Violation of any of these policies will result in consequences up to and including the revocation of an attendee’s membership without refund; a possible permanent ban from all future Gallifrey One conventions; and contact with appropriate legal authorities. Gallifrey One reserves the right to deal with each matter individually, in a manner deemed fit by its Board of Directors.
Gallifrey One requires all convention attendees to abide by our Courtesy Policy, which is the exhibition of courteous behavior to fellow attendees. We require cooperation on the following rules of conduct during our convention:
- Cellphones and other electronic devices must be silenced or turned off while attendees are in our programming and video rooms
- Attendees must remain quiet during panels and not speak amongst themselves, except when participating in discussion with the panel
- Parents with small children who misbehave, cry or become noisy must depart the program room they are in immediately
- Attendees wearing hats or tall costumes must remove them when sitting in a panel room so the view of other attendees is not blocked
- When panel rooms have closed their doors due to hallway noise, attendees are asked to open and close the doors quietly
- Attendees (including costumed attendees and attendees inside Daleks or other mechanical objects) immediately outside the doors to a programming room must keep their voices at a reasonable level so as not to disturb the program
- Attendees are asked to respect other attendees by not disrupting or intruding in their private conversations, videotaping/photography sessions, podcasting/recording sessions, or other activities
Additionally, attendees must respect personal boundaries of each of our guests, and are therefore asked to ensure the following:
- Attendees may not monopolize the time of a particular guest, either in an autograph line or in any other setting
- Attendees may not approach a guest for an autograph or photo outside of any autograph session or photo studio session
- Attendees are asked to practice discretion when approaching a guest in a social setting (i.e. the bar/restaurants), so as to not intrude upon the guest’s existing conversations or personal time (including dining)
In order to ensure that none of these items or any other issues impair the experience for others, we will be strictly enforcing this policy, up to and including asking offenders to leave the convention. We appreciate your consent to and following of these rules to make sure everyone has a good time.
Refunds: We do NOT issue refunds. All sales are final.
Ticket Transfers: We allow a ticket (aka registration, membership, etc.) to be transferred to another person at any time without restriction. To do so, visit the Ticket Transfer page on our website, which will require a registration holder to input their name and email address, the name and email address of the person to whom the registration is being transferred, and the receipt number from the email receipt received upon initial registration. Registration may not be sold to another person except at the original cost it was purchased, and any attempt to sell a registration on eBay or another auction site will immediately nullify the registration. Also, we do permit a registration to be upgraded, i.e. child to teen/teen to adult/child to adult, but not downgraded to a lower tier; to do so, please contact us via the Contact Us page on our website.
Ticket Deferral: We do not defer memberships from one year to another, except on a case by case basis due to extreme personal emergency situations (which include death of an immediate family member, hospitalization, etc.), and only if the request is made ahead of time; we will not do so after the convention. We will no longer defer registrations due to situational issues such as weather, job changes or other travel-based issues. Deferrals must be discussed via email and are never guaranteed.
Photography and Videotaping
Any videotaping done at the convention within our programming rooms may NOT be reposted/uploaded to video sites online including YouTube, Vimeo, etc., without the express written consent of the convention AND all those appearing on the video, with the exception of brief clips no more than three minutes long and within reason as determined by Gallifrey One. Photography and videotaping of other activities including general cosplay, personal photos/video with the TARDIS, etc., are acceptable provided that subjects being videotaped consent to it and provided that it does not disrupt events or the flow of foot traffic. Should any convention guest or staff member request that videotaping of a particular event/item be discontinued, attendees must comply with this request immediately.
Cameras and camcorders/video recorders are not allowed in the Art Show. Photography of art, model, toy and collectibles displays may be allowed with the permission of the Art Show Coordinator and the artist; contact the Art Show Coordinator for more details.
Badges and Identification
Registrants will pick up their convention badge upon arrival at the convention space (there are no tickets mailed). Convention badges must be visible at all times on your person. Individuals without badges will not be granted access to convention space or any other function rooms in the hotel in which convention operations are occurring. A member of the convention staff who does not see your badge visible upon your person may ask you to make certain it is visible, or ask you to leave the convention space.
A fee will be charged for replacing a lost badge; replacement badges will be authorized by our Registration desk. Should a lost badge be located later, Registration may refund the cost of the lost badge, provided such recovery has occurred on the same day.
It is suggested that you keep your badge on you during the evening hours when in the hotel lobby/bar area. The Marriott Los Angeles Airport Hotel reserves the right to control access to the hotel lobby/bar when maximum occupancy limits are reached; those without convention badges or who are not registered hotel guests may be asked to leave during these times.
Costuming and Attire
Gallifrey One reserves the right to deem a costume unacceptable and request the wearer to make modifications as necessary. This convention is a family-friendly event. Please keep this in mind when choosing costumes and allow common sense and good taste to prevail.
All attendees are required by the hotel to wear approved footwear while in the convention space, which includes shoes, sandals, flip-flops or slippers. Bare feet are not allowed.
We recognize that costume-related weapons are sometimes an important part of the costume experience, so Gallifrey One has the following weapons policy for costume-related weapons in place:
- ALL weapons must be non-working and peace-bonded (see below)
- No functioning projectile weapons includes water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols
- Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times
- There will be absolutely no play-acting with props
- Explosives or chemicals of any kind including, but not limited to, smoke powder, sparklers, and fireworks, are not permitted at the con
- Do not bring anything that would annoy another attendee
Peace-bonding is the act of making it clear that your weapon cannot be used (either by a brightly colored tie, or trigger lock) and that your intentions are peaceful. In order to display a costume related weapon on your costume, your weapon must be peace-bonded; to do so, it must be brought to the Convention Operations (“Ops”) room which is located immediately behind the Member Services desk along the central hallway. Do not presume that the peacebonding from another or a previous convention will do. Items producing light or sound must be checked with ConOps for decisions about peace-bonding.
These rules apply solely to costume weaponry. Gallifrey One does not permit any real weapons to be used or brought to the convention at all as per our general policies above; violation of this rule will require immediate reporting to proper authorities.
Gallifrey One and/or The Institute for Specialized Literature (ISL), Inc. are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft, or injury with regard to any attendee at any time. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Civil or medical emergencies must be reported to hotel Loss Prevention staff who will contact the proper authorities.