Gallifrey One is a family-friendly convention that provides its attendees with both a weekend full of entertainment as well as a safe place to socialize and have a good time. To that end, we have created and enforce the following rules of conduct that are in place for our conventions; these policies must be followed by all convention attendees without exception. The purchase of a ticket for a Gallifrey One convention includes your acknowledgement that you will follow all of these policies at all times.
Should you experience any form of harassment or note any violations of policy, please report ANY ISSUES to our Member Services team, located at the Member Services desk next to the main elevators during regular convention hours. (When Member Services is closed, you may instead visit our Convention Operations office. Our convention office is staffed from early Thursday evening through Sunday at the end of closing ceremonies, 24 hours a day, and is located two doors down the central hall from Member Services.)
General Convention Policies
The following activities will not be tolerated during the Gallifrey One conventions:
- Physical or verbal harassment of other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
- Sexual misconduct, such as indecent exposure, offensive touching, or other sexual harassment
- Engaging in disruptive and unsafe behavior that disturbs other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
- Possession or use of any illegal drug, narcotic or banned substance
- Possession or use of any item defined as a weapon, illegal or not, with the exception of costume weapons (as defined in our Weapons Policy, below)
- Distribution of alcoholic beverages to any person under the age of 21
- Disruptive or inappropriate behavior, or any engagement in activity prohibited by law
- Any act which could result in substantial risk of harm to people or property
Please note that harassment is any behavior that intentionally annoys, threatens, or alarms another person. This includes any unwanted physical contact, verbal sexual comments toward a non-consenting adult or toward any minor, following someone without a legitimate reason, or threatening to physically harm someone. Remember, if someone approaches you and you tell them to leave you alone, their business with you is done. If they do not leave you alone as you have requested, their actions may be grounds for a complaint of harassment. Gallifrey One will investigate all harassment claims to the best of our ability. Gallifrey One is committed to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion.
Violation of any of these policies will result in consequences up to and including the revocation of an attendee’s membership without refund; a possible permanent ban from all future Gallifrey One conventions; and contact with appropriate legal authorities. Gallifrey One reserves the right to deal with each matter individually, in a manner deemed fit by its Board of Directors.
Gallifrey One requires all convention attendees to abide by our Courtesy Policy, which is the exhibition of courteous behavior to fellow attendees. We require cooperation on the following rules of conduct during our convention:
- Cellphones and other electronic devices must be silenced or turned off while attendees are in our programming and video rooms
- Attendees must remain quiet during panels and not speak amongst themselves, except when participating in discussion with the panel
- Parents with small children who misbehave, cry or become noisy must depart the program room they are in immediately
- Attendees wearing hats or tall costumes must remove them when sitting in a panel room so the view of other attendees is not blocked
- When panel rooms have closed their doors due to hallway noise, attendees are asked to open and close the doors quietly
- Attendees (including costumed attendees and attendees inside Daleks or other mechanical objects) immediately outside the doors to a programming room must keep their voices at a reasonable level so as not to disturb the program
- Attendees are asked to respect other attendees by not disrupting or intruding in their private conversations, videotaping/photography sessions, podcasting/recording sessions, or other activities
Additionally, attendees must respect personal boundaries of each of our guests, and are therefore asked to ensure the following:
- Attendees may not monopolize the time of a particular guest, either in an autograph line or in any other setting
- Attendees may not approach a guest for an autograph or photo outside of any autograph session or photo studio session
- Attendees are asked to practice discretion when approaching a guest in a social setting (i.e. the bar/restaurants), so as to not intrude upon the guest’s existing conversations or personal time (including dining)
We strictly enforce these rules for the safety and comfort of our attending guests, and they apply to both convention attendees as well as the general public. Persons without tickets to the convention have no business with the attending guests of Gallifrey One and will be asked to leave the hotel if they in any way accost our guests, ask for autographs or loiter without convention business. (We will enforce this up to and including asking hotel security to have loiterers removed from the premises.)
In order to ensure that none of these items or any other issues impair the experience for others, we will be strictly enforcing this policy, up to and including asking offenders to leave the convention. We appreciate your consent to and following of these rules to make sure everyone has a good time.
Refunds: We do NOT issue refunds. All sales are final. (Actively challenging a ticket sale with a bank/card provider to acquire a refund despite this policy will result in a permanent restriction on future attendance. Our convention, like all other non-profit events, budgets based entirely on advanced sales. You have been warned.)
Ticket Transfers: We allow a ticket (also known as a registration or membership, interchangeably) to be transferred to another person via our website during the open transfer period (currently September 2014 to the end of January 2015) as well as at our transfer desk at Registration at the convention itself, so that ticket holders who cannot attend can instead sell their ticket to someone who can actually use it. Full details including regulations governing transfers can be found on our Ticket Transfers page. A ticket may not be sold to another person except at the original cost it was purchased, and any attempt to sell a registration on eBay or another auction site will immediately nullify the ticket in question. Also, we do permit a teen ticket (ages 12-17) to be upgraded to a full adult ticket, but we will not upgrade child tickets (ages 3-11) nor will we downgrade the class of ticket.
Ticket Deferral: We do not defer memberships from one year to another, except on a case by case basis due to extreme personal emergency situations (which include death of an immediate family member, hospitalization, etc.), and only if the request is made ahead of time; we will not do so after the convention. Deferrals must be requested via email with sufficient explanation, and may only be granted after discussion by our Board of Directors.
Photography and Videotaping
Any videotaping done at the convention within our programming rooms may NOT be reposted/uploaded to video sites online including YouTube, Vimeo, etc., without the express written consent of the convention AND all those appearing on the video, with the exception of brief clips no more than three minutes long and within reason as determined by Gallifrey One. Photography and videotaping of other activities including general cosplay, personal photos/video with the TARDIS, etc., are acceptable provided that subjects being videotaped consent to it and provided that it does not disrupt events or the flow of foot traffic. Should any convention guest or staff member request that videotaping of a particular event/item be discontinued, attendees must comply with this request immediately.
Cameras and camcorders/video recorders are not allowed in the Art Show. Photography of art, model, toy and collectibles displays may be allowed with the permission of the Art Show Coordinator and the artist; contact the Art Show Coordinator for more details.
Badges and Identification
Registrants will pick up their convention badge upon arrival at the convention space (there are no tickets mailed). Convention badges must be visible at all times on your person. Individuals without badges will not be granted access to convention space or any other function rooms in the hotel in which convention operations are occurring. A member of the convention staff who does not see your badge visible upon your person may ask you to make certain it is visible, or ask you to leave the convention space.
A fee will be charged for replacing a lost badge; replacement badges will be authorized by our Registration desk. Should a lost badge be located later, Registration may refund the cost of the lost badge, provided such recovery has occurred on the same day.
It is suggested that you keep your badge on you during the evening hours when in the hotel lobby/bar area. The Marriott Los Angeles Airport Hotel reserves the right to control access to the hotel lobby/bar when maximum occupancy limits are reached; those without convention badges or who are not registered hotel guests may be asked to leave during these times.
Costuming and Attire
Gallifrey One reserves the right to deem a costume unacceptable and request the wearer to make modifications as necessary. This convention is a family-friendly event. Please keep this in mind when choosing costumes and allow common sense and good taste to prevail.
All attendees are required by the hotel to wear approved footwear while in the convention space, which includes shoes, sandals, flip-flops or slippers. Bare feet are not allowed.
A WORD REGARDING LARGE-SIZED COSTUMES: We absolutely love costumes at Gallifrey One, especially the really large and elaborate ones. We don’t wish to discourage anyone from wearing them during the day, but we need your assistance if you are planning to bring one. Just like Daleks and mobile props in the following section, these can cause issues with traffic flow in our foyer. We would ask you to please help us out by not stopping in the center of the hallway, but instead, if you need to stop, move to the side of the hall or toward the glass doors leading in from the patio. This will aid us tremendously when the hallways are very busy.
Daleks and Other Large/Mobile Props
Nobody loves Daleks at our convention more than we do… but along with other large props, they create some havoc for us in our hallways, especially in the breaks between panels. To that end, if you wish to bring a large-sized Dalek to Gallifrey One, or another large prop of this type, please note the following (which is specifically tailored to Daleks but also applies to anything life-sized and/or mobile):
- In order to feature a Dalek, or similar-sized mobile prop at Gallifrey One, you must contact us PRIOR to the convention via our contact page. We will not permit them to be on the convention floor without this contact and it may not be done at the convention. We will not guarantee to permit your Dalek access to the convention because of the number of people wishing to bring them, so you are encourage to contact us earlier rather than later.
- Dalek operators are permitted only on the ground level (convention floor) of the con and the foyer outside, except during transportation. They may not be used on the hotel lobby level or in corridors near sleeping rooms at any time.
- When displaying your Dalek prop at the convention, please follow the requirements of the convention floor managers (arranged ahead of time); we have traffic flow issues, especially during panel breaks on Friday and Saturday afternoons, and you may be asked to maintain a specific location.
- Dalek operators are NOT permitted to use speakers/vocoders/other audio equipment on the Dalek in the western hallway of the convention, which is the location of our video room and Program C & D rooms. The loud voice effects disturb the panels in those rooms and must not be used. Additionally, we may ask you to keep your Dalek quiet outside the doors of our main ballroom (Program A) as well.
- Extremely limited storage space is available for Daleks on our main program floor but this must also be arranged ahead of time in our discussions (prior contact as noted above.) We will not guarantee Dalek storage space on site.
As a side note for smaller mobile props (like a K-9, etc.) we do not require that you register your prop formally as above, but we would ask you to please kindly assist us with traffic flow by not stopping in the center of the foyer for crowds. Instead, please simply move to the side of the hallway or into the areas near the glass doors leading outside. These crowds around small props also give us difficulty with the movement of people, especially between panels. Your assistance is appreciated.
We recognize that costume-related weapons are sometimes an important part of the costume experience, so Gallifrey One has the following weapons policy for costume-related weapons in place:
- ALL weapons must be non-working and peace-bonded (see below)
- No functioning projectile weapons includes water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols
- Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times
- There will be absolutely no play-acting with props
- Explosives or chemicals of any kind including, but not limited to, smoke powder, sparklers, and fireworks, are not permitted at the con
- Do not bring anything that would annoy another attendee
Peace-bonding is the act of making it clear that your weapon cannot be used (either by a brightly colored tie, or trigger lock) and that your intentions are peaceful. In order to display a costume related weapon on your costume, your weapon must be peace-bonded; to do so, it must be brought to the Convention Operations (“Ops”) room which is located immediately behind the Member Services desk along the central hallway. Do not presume that the peacebonding from another or a previous convention will do. Items producing light or sound must be checked with ConOps for decisions about peace-bonding.
These rules apply solely to costume weaponry. Gallifrey One does not permit any real weapons to be used or brought to the convention at all as per our general policies above; violation of this rule will require immediate reporting to proper authorities.
Gallifrey One and/or The Institute for Specialized Literature (ISL), Inc. are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft, or injury with regard to any attendee at any time. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Civil or medical emergencies must be reported to hotel Loss Prevention staff who will contact the proper authorities.